Pollen from a Spider Lily flower

Slide was made using cellotape and paper slide. I cut part of anther and placed it on piece of cellotape. Then placed another piece on top of it and removed it. Then used one of the tapes that just had a layer of pollen grains for observation. Found this technique very effective and convinient.

Oval structures with reticulate surface can be observed

3 Comments Add yours

  1. Manu Prakash says:

    What I find remarkable in this observation is that the pigment from the pollen seem to diffuse out into the adhesive from the tape. I have never seen that for other pollen – which makes me wonder why would that be.

    @laks @mo – have you ever seen a diffusable pigment from pollen. Could it be a chemical signal needed to initiate the process of ingress of the pollen.


    1. MananSuri says:

      Even I had similar observation about the pollen staining stigma, tape when I observed pollen from a lily flower, and the cross section of its stigma.

      The regions where pollen were present, the stigma stained yellow, and where it was absent, it didn’t:

    2. laksiyer says:

      Dear @Manu. This only occurs with tape as far as I have seen. I suspect it is the tape adhesive, usually made of alcohols and acids which might dissolve/strip off some pigment. One could try this experiment with just adhesive by itself.

Leave a Reply