I conducted this project in Professor Pringle’s EEB321 class. I decided to use a leaf I found nearby as my specimen.
I learned about Foldscopes as part of the class, and was really stunned by the idea. Equipment costs act as a huge barrier for citzen science, and the notion of a cheap microscope would have some remarkable impacts.
Making the foldscope was not difficult, it only took about an hour and worked well. I had some trouble getting my phone to take a picture in focus, but I’m sure if I spent some more time with it this wouldn’t have been a problem. This picture is the best I could manage, I think it’s still interesting to see.