Quick tutorial on finding tardigrades:
- Collect some lichen or moss (I found lichen on the bark of a tree. Be careful not to damage the bark while scraping off the lichen, it houses many microorganisms.)
- Place the lichen in a petridish and cover with tap water. Leave the sample soaking over night. This allows the waterbear to hydrate and become active.
- Prepare some slides and search your sample under the foldscope! This may take a while, so have patience.
- I assembled a slide with one well in which I placed a chunk of lichen and a view drops of water from the petridish. I did this step 10 times, always renewing the lichen and water, until I saw my first tartigrade!
- I actually got really inpatient and used a big light microscope to scan my petridish and check for living organisms before I reutrned to the foldscope.