Marigold 🏵

There are many beautiful flowers in Maryland. One of my favorites is the Marigold.


I wanted to examine the petal of the flower. At first when I foldscoped the petal it was very hard to see because the cells were yellow.IMG_20160724_111115

Then I added one drop of methylene blue and I let it soak for 30 seconds.


And I got a brilliant picture of the Marigold cells. The methylene blue stained everything but the cell so it was easy to distinguish the cells.


.IMG_20160724_111711 IMG_20160724_111655 IMG_20160724_111647

I was amazed by the difference between the methylene blue vs no dye. I feel adding dye makes it more fun and makes the clarity of the image better.

Now that it is summer break I am going to post a lot more!




3 Comments Add yours

  1. Manu Prakash says:

    Dear Vaish,

    What a wonderful post – specially the comparison with and without the stains. It has such a beautiful effect on the cells; so vividly visible.

    Could you share the methods section:
    – What concentration of methylene blue did you add?
    – How long did you keep the sample under the dye?

    These details in a scientific finding are critical for users to replicate and benefit from your work. I am thrilled to read this; and eager to try it right away.

    Looking forward to more posts from you.


  2. Vaish says:

    I have added what you told me

  3. Manu Prakash says:

    That’s fantastic speed Vaish. You are fast 🙂

    Inspired by you, I am getting started to incorporate a new embedded protocols/methods tool in Foldscope posts – that will allow all of us to share our protocols very precisely. I made a quick version for methylene blue staining (did I say I was inspired by your post). Here is just a link; but I will actually write a tutorial on how to make protocols and how to embed them in Foldscope posts.

    More on this coming soon.


Leave a Reply